IT NATIONAL PROJECT
This project is merger of Audio World Program and PFFB IT Center. Pakistan Foundation Fighting Blindness (PFFB) has received a grant from Pakistan Poverty Alleviation Fund (PPAF) to initiate a National Project to offer Visually Impaired Persons (VIPs) educational and pleasure listening opportunities through audio-textbooks and recordings of fiction, nonfiction and literary books. The project will also encourage social interaction opportunities and counseling at selected sites with training in computer and internet skills.
Under this Project (2011-2015) PFFB has established five IT Centers computer labs for Visually Impaired Persons (VIPs) in Govt. Special Education Institutions at Lahore, Multan, Peshawar, Karachi, and AJK. in collaboration with Pakistan Poverty Alleviation Fund (PPAF) and Govt. Special Education Department Punjab, Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa, Sindh, and Azad Kashmir Association of the Blind, (AKAB).
During the 2nd phase of this project, PFFB conducted a series of regional workshops on computer, communication, and personality development skills of visually impaired students as well as teachers of those institutions where number of visually impaired students is in majority. Its 10 day’s duration program in which first 6 days are dedicated for the students, whereas next 4 days are allocated for the teachers. PFFB selected four focal points Karachi, Multan, Peshawar and Quetta from all provinces for training workshops, in which students of the respective cities, and teachers participated with full spirit. Moreover, PFFB is also helping visually impaired students/ persons in Assistive aids and technical support services on demand.
PFFB National Project also provided a platform to visually impaired community by organizing Seminars and Conferences, where concerned Government departments and Local Community Organizations NGOs and visually impaired persons participated and able to work together in Policy Legislation and for the rights of persons with disabilities. So far, PFFB has organized one National Leadership Conference for visually impaired, One day Policy Dialogue Sessions between Government and NGOs and Seminar for NGOs working for visually impaired persons.
Moreover, under the project PFFB had opportunity to increase the outreach of services to far flung areas of Pakistan. PFFB team conducted awareness visits and meetings with Government and Local NGOs at Quetta, Baluchistan and Gilgit Baltistan to provide opportunity of education through Audio World and IT Center Program and improve the quality of life of visually impaired persons. More than 4000 visually impaired students and persons benefited through this project.
- Enable VIPs to compete for better employment as most jobs today require conventional education as well as computer literacy
- Enrich the lives of VIPs through access to education, knowledge, information technology and entertainment
- Serve as a platform for social interaction and PFFB Audio World’s central facility for orders and receiving audio textbooks
- Enable VIPs to cope with various problems associated with disability through provision of psychological and career counseling
- Improve the communication, computing skills and behavior through exclusive training workshops.
- Assistive aids i.e. white canes, talking wrist watches, mp3 players, assistive softwares, audio training manuals and E-books for visually impaired.
- Help to increase the literacy rate of VIPs across the country; empowering them to make right choices and decisions.